Here at HousingDoom, we generally try to stay fairly apolitical – we point out stupidity regardless of which side of the aisle it may be on. We also try to avoid endorsing specific candidates.
This election will affect a number of things over the next 4 years; it is vital that people understand their candidate, and what they are voting for. It is in the spirit of disclosure that I post this video.
On July 2nd, 2008, Obama made a speech in Colorado Springs. There were a number of things said which are deeply concerning. Of further concern, the officially released transcripts are missing a very important statement:
We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.
Among the things this video mentions:
- Tying federal funding of schools to their implementation of mandatory "service" programs (50 hours per year in middle and high school).
- $4000/year tax penalties for college students who do not perform 100 hours per year of community service
- Taking ("leverage") private sector dollars to encourage [non-profit] innovation.
- Doubling our "national security" forces (in terms of funding). The Department of Defense currently has a$515.4 Billion Dollar budget – this is a very large change, and not a good one.
- Further increasing our oversupply of homes
Service is given; it cannot be forced. Paid compelled labor is a job. Unpaid compelled labor is a form of slavery.
I encourage you to watch the video, and be aware of who and what you are voting for this election. It is a little on the long side, but it is worth watching.
Full disclosure: I am the Systems Administrator for HousingDoom, and I am unaffiliated with either the Republican or Democratic parties. I am a registered Libertarian.